Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Character art

So I had an opportunity to do some Mickey Mouse character art. I was going out for a project with not knowing all the details...we as artists sometimes do that you know. What the client was looking for was a Mickey Mouse character artist for a style guide. Needless to say i do not have the time invested to know the nuances of Mickey Mouse as I do not draw him all day long(as style guides are what the whole company uses to do a character). I am a decent artist and draftsman but what a character artist does that specializes in a specific character is very specific. Needless to say I did not get the job:( I was bummed at first but the more I think about it the more I am thankful. I give the utmost respect to the character artists that have the dedication to draw the same character for a living...or a handful of characters for that matter. It really taught me something about myself and the way I approach a new project. I think in the future I will ask more questions and know the current level of my ability on a specific project. I am all for pushing to be better...but to compete in the big leagues with those that are the masters at what they do...you too must be a master. One day...practice makes perfect! 

No comments:

Post a Comment